Wedding Gals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

College Education Dilemna

3 posters

Go down

College Education Dilemna Empty College Education Dilemna

Post  sarah1989 March 4th 2009, 10:20 pm

My FH and I are both looking to do school in January 2010, just after our wedding. Only problem is, I am not sure what I want to do. This will be my 2nd attempt at college as I dropped out in March 2oo8 due to bad health. I started last January in the Educational Assistant - Special Needs Support Program. I am thinking of doing the same program but at the same time I know how heavy the course load is and how much I struggled the first time. I am also considering Office Administration or Social Service Worker. Any ideas about what I should do?!? Alex (FH) is going to go for Law and Security or Police Foundations, all depends on the program acceptance.
sarah1989
sarah1989

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://paquettemacdonald09.weddingannouncer.com

Back to top Go down

College Education Dilemna Empty Re: College Education Dilemna

Post  WolfSpirit292 March 4th 2009, 11:40 pm

I remember the "dropping out" conversation coming up on Weddingbook... That's how we first met! HAHA.

So as Sarah remembers- but for the benieft of those not in the know- I withdrew from college after the end of my first year. A private liberal arts school wasn't for me, plus they were talking about getting rid of my major because not enough people wanted to major in theatre arts. Anywho... I didn't see the point in paying $32,000 a year and waste 4 years of my life for something I *MIGHT* want to do the rest of my life.

I'm looking to go back to school, but I have the same problem- I'm not exactly sure what it is I want to do. I've thought of a lot of different career paths, in MANY different areas of life. I really want to be a published author no matter what I do, but I need something else as a main career, if that made sense. For now, I think I'm going into armed security like my FH, and I've been looking into going to a 2 year online school for private investigation- much cheaper, and you don't waste a bunch of time taking credit hours not related to your career!

I guess my only advice, since I'm in the same boat, is not to sign onto a school until you know for sure what it is you want to do. I suggest if you want to do some kind of professional career to do a 2-year or tech school type degree. Less time, and you only study in your field. Which means less money to dish out and the quicker you'll be out of school and in the job market. Online schools are also a great option, depending on what it is you decide to do.
WolfSpirit292
WolfSpirit292

Number of posts : 50
Humor : "Death by teacup, now why didn't I think of that?" --Kyra from 'Riddick'
Registration date : 2009-03-01

http://pyrosflame.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah1989 March 5th 2009, 4:58 pm

WolfSpirit292 wrote:I remember the "dropping out" conversation coming up on Weddingbook... That's how we first met! HAHA.

So as Sarah remembers- but for the benieft of those not in the know- I withdrew from college after the end of my first year. A private liberal arts school wasn't for me, plus they were talking about getting rid of my major because not enough people wanted to major in theatre arts. Anywho... I didn't see the point in paying $32,000 a year and waste 4 years of my life for something I *MIGHT* want to do the rest of my life.

I'm looking to go back to school, but I have the same problem- I'm not exactly sure what it is I want to do. I've thought of a lot of different career paths, in MANY different areas of life. I really want to be a published author no matter what I do, but I need something else as a main career, if that made sense. For now, I think I'm going into armed security like my FH, and I've been looking into going to a 2 year online school for private investigation- much cheaper, and you don't waste a bunch of time taking credit hours not related to your career!

I guess my only advice, since I'm in the same boat, is not to sign onto a school until you know for sure what it is you want to do. I suggest if you want to do some kind of professional career to do a 2-year or tech school type degree. Less time, and you only study in your field. Which means less money to dish out and the quicker you'll be out of school and in the job market. Online schools are also a great option, depending on what it is you decide to do.

Lol I remember!! Well, for me it isn't going to be 32k a year which is nice lol, only 6k for two years, major difference there! I have been looking at schools around here and see so many things I might like and want to do but at the same time I am still deeply drawn towards E.A.Special Needs. I am glad I will have the opportunity to do school at the same time with my FH (husband by then) because I know between the two of us, we will be able to do the courses we will be taking and still succeed.

I am right now as you would say "in between a rock and a hard place" because I am being "forced" by my parents to do it, and believe me, I want to, but do not know if I can. My parents are all bent out of shape because I dropped out Mar.08 and then moved out and got engaged, and soon to be married, which they all are against. They barely talk to me, my mum epsecially, but anytime they do the one thing they always make sure to say is "So Sarah, what are your plans for school?" thats certainly not the thing I want to be hearing all the time, something I want to be hearing is "So Sarah, how are you wedding plans coming?" I feel like I am being forced to do school, and all because of them, and they aren't even paying for it, Student loans will be.

Should I just forget about school and wait until I know for sure, or do it now and let them have their way, as well have the educational support while hubby is in school with me.
sarah1989
sarah1989

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfSpirit292 March 5th 2009, 5:45 pm

I'd wait till I knew for sure. But that's just me.

I'm in pretty much the same situation. Moved out, dropped out, and then got engaged. My family likes FH but they don't really talk about the wedding. Mainly though that's cause we haven't officially announced anything since we aren't officially engaged (we've agreed to get married and are planning everything, but he hasn't gotten a ring yet), so I don't expect it to come into conversation.

I know what you mean about them bugging you to go back. My SIL (oldest brother's wife) asks me EVERY time she sees me! Grr... I love her but come on! I just wanna look at her and go "and when are you going to let a sitter watch your 6 year old twins and GO BACK TO WORK?" Rolling Eyes

Honestly, don't let them pressure you. Take your time to figure things out. Build your life your way, not the way they think is right.
WolfSpirit292
WolfSpirit292

Number of posts : 50
Humor : "Death by teacup, now why didn't I think of that?" --Kyra from 'Riddick'
Registration date : 2009-03-01

http://pyrosflame.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan March 6th 2009, 4:19 pm

I wouldn't let your parents pressure you into it. Do it for you not for them. But if you do want to try maybe try just being half time and working your way into it! What do you like to do? I started out in nursing and thought forsure that was for me....not lol. I switched my major then to Early Childhood education and I LOVE my new major! So I think if you find something you truely love you can succeed!! But just give it some thought and don't do it for them do it for you! Good luck!!
Megan
Megan

Number of posts : 21

http://www.mywedding.com/adamlovesmegan

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah1989 March 6th 2009, 4:29 pm

Megan wrote:I wouldn't let your parents pressure you into it. Do it for you not for them. But if you do want to try maybe try just being half time and working your way into it! What do you like to do? I started out in nursing and thought forsure that was for me....not lol. I switched my major then to Early Childhood education and I LOVE my new major! So I think if you find something you truely love you can succeed!! But just give it some thought and don't do it for them do it for you! Good luck!!

I thought about the half time path but then found out that I need to have a full course load to get the student loan. Sad I absolutely love working with kids, special needs as well. I love typing, and volunteer as a recording secretary, so maybe an administration course. But my true love is definately working with the special needs kids. I did co-op and classes all through highschool, working with them and I have not been happier working lol. I just worry about the job market around here, as the school board is not hiring anyone, only doing contract work.. which doesn't guarantee me any work lol. So I think I am really in a sticky situation and maybe looking too much into it.... Embarassed
sarah1989
sarah1989

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan March 6th 2009, 4:35 pm

sarah1989 wrote:I thought about the half time path but then found out that I need to have a full course load to get the student loan. Sad I absolutely love working with kids, special needs as well. I love typing, and volunteer as a recording secretary, so maybe an administration course. But my true love is definately working with the special needs kids. I did co-op and classes all through highschool, working with them and I have not been happier working lol. I just worry about the job market around here, as the school board is not hiring anyone, only doing contract work.. which doesn't guarantee me any work lol. So I think I am really in a sticky situation and maybe looking too much into it.... Embarassed
Really? Wow I thought you could get financial aid as long as you are half time or more. I am currently part time during the wedding planning and I'm still recieving financial aid.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  sarah1989 March 6th 2009, 4:38 pm

Hmmm, I will have to look into it deeper and see. Maybe I will talk to financial aid at the local college and see what they say.
sarah1989
sarah1989

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan March 6th 2009, 4:39 pm

sarah1989 wrote:Hmmm, I will have to look into it deeper and see. Maybe I will talk to financial aid at the local college and see what they say.
Yeah I would b/c I'm pretty sure you just have to be part time or higher! But it's worth a look!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum