Wedding Gals
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Outdoor vs. Indoor Venue

2 posters

Go down

Outdoor vs. Indoor Venue Empty Outdoor vs. Indoor Venue

Post  WolfSpirit292 March 2nd 2009, 12:33 am

So FH and I are debating between whether we want an outdoor venue for the reception, or have it at a hall. Our wedding will be October in Ohio... so it will be nice out- not too hot, not too cold.

Advantages and disadvantages you see to having it be one way or the other??
WolfSpirit292
WolfSpirit292

Number of posts : 50
Humor : "Death by teacup, now why didn't I think of that?" --Kyra from 'Riddick'
Registration date : 2009-03-01

http://pyrosflame.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Outdoor vs. Indoor Venue Empty Indoors vs. Outdoors

Post  WeddingG March 2nd 2009, 9:00 am

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!!
I've done a lot of research about indoors vs. outdoors weddings. I've spoken to a lot of brides about their experiences, and I don't know that I could justify an outdoors wedding based on all the details that must be addressed to make sure the experience is comfortable for everyone.
1) Weather (obviously) - you need to have an indoors back-up ANYWAYS, and you must put people in place to move everything from one venue to the other in case Mother Nature chooses not to cooperate. Weather doesn't just refer to rain, but also to extreme and/or changing temperatures (high or low), winds, etc. You must consider where the sun will be setting and if it will be setting right in the direction of their eyes.
2) Although outdoor spots usually require less decor in some aspects, there are a lot of additional expenses that can be incurred. i.e. outdoor restrooms, tent set-up, rental of a floating floor (keep in mind that a lot of your guests will be wearing heels, and heels sink into the grass)
3) Food attracts critters... big ones, small ones... don't be surprised if you see your guests swatting at insects during your speeches

... I think there is a time and place for every kind of venue. You could consider having an informal function outdoors - like an engagement party or a rehearsal, where guests are invited to dress comfortably and make the best of their surroundings... but a wedding is typically a formal event during which they are many variables to address that placing it outdoors might end up skyrocketing your budget.

Either way, it's YOUR day... and however you see it, is how it should be. Every obstacle can be overcome Smile

Let us know what you decide!

Mary
WeddingGirl.ca

WeddingG

Back to top Go down

Outdoor vs. Indoor Venue Empty Indoor vs. outdoor

Post  Megan March 2nd 2009, 9:49 am

I think that outdoor receptions require a lot to plan and hold. You have sooo much that has to be rented and in the end it winds up being more expensive than having it at a hall that has it all ready to go! At least that is what it was in my case. I checked into everything and I just couldn't see doing all of that when at a hall it's already done for you! But it's really up to you! We considered doing an outdoor reception but decided not to when we calculated it all up and found out the prices! We also decided against it b/c we are getting married in July and wow will it be too hot lol! But you could always have an outdoor ceremony! Those are a lot easier to plan outdoors and you don't have to rent near as much! This is what we decided to do! I just really really really hope it doesn't rain lol! But good luck on your decision! I would just look into both in your area and see what works best for you!

Megan & Adam
July 25, 2009
Megan
Megan

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.mywedding.com/adamlovesmegan

Back to top Go down

Outdoor vs. Indoor Venue Empty Re: Outdoor vs. Indoor Venue

Post  WolfSpirit292 March 2nd 2009, 2:56 pm

Yeah we're having an outdoor ceremony.

Mainly he wants an outdoor reception because he smokes and he doesn't want to be running in and out of the hall all the time (and there are about half the guests that smoke as well). I see where both of you are coming from with it costing more. Here was my thoughts though on how to cut that cost...

We would be having the reception at a local park- so it's only a very small amount to rent it the whole day- plus the park rangers will be around. We would have a "cabin" type hall and and/or one of those shelter patio things... with the concrete floor, the open sides, and a roof. I'd perfer the shelter, but we'd be next to the hall if we had to get in cause the weather just compeltely went nuts. So, there would still be some costs for a few things- but no tent or whatnot. And there would already be bathrooms there as well. And we were planning on having it catered- which is only a lil more per person than if we would have it in their hall.

With that extra info, does that sound more of a do-able thing then? Or do you think a hall would still be better?
WolfSpirit292
WolfSpirit292

Humor : "Death by teacup, now why didn't I think of that?" --Kyra from 'Riddick'

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan March 2nd 2009, 3:52 pm

Yeah that does seem more doable than I was thinking lol. I was thinking tent, chairs, tables, linen, everything lol. So having in a park would have some of that stuff for you! I don't think you can have alcohol in a park though...not sure tho and Idk if you are having it or not just thought I would mention it!! But it sounds like you have it all figured out so I say go for it!!
Megan
Megan

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-03-02

http://www.mywedding.com/adamlovesmegan

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfSpirit292 March 2nd 2009, 4:00 pm

HAHA, well, not ALL figured out. We'd still have to compare all the numbers. But yeah, we wouldn't have to pay for a lot of the stuff you would if you had it in a backyard or something.

As far as the alcohol, I honestly don't know if the park allows it. They may have you pay a fee for it in case there would be damages... but we only want a LITTLE alcohol there.

I think the main turn off for me is the possibility of the weather being a drag. Neutral That's why I was wondering what you guys thought... like if it would be worth it to take the chance for the cost and stuff. I've only ever been to receptions INDOORS, so the outdoor thing I haven't had any experience with at all, lol.
WolfSpirit292
WolfSpirit292

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum